THE LODGE IS FOUNDED
The idea of the Foundation of a Lodge that would be “different” was first conceived by W.Bro. W.L. Rind, O.B.E, J.P., J.G.D., P.P.G.S.W (Herts).
He was a brother of many Masonic activities, and, although yielding to none in upholding the principles and tenets of Freemasonry, he saw no reason for dogmatism in the performance of the ritual. He also abhorred the stereotyped style of Masonic speeches and the usual long toast list. He was also concerned that in many Lodges the young and keen Mason often had to wait long years before taking the first step leading to the Master’s Chair. He was a believer in small Lodges.
The Founders decided that Burton Court Lodge No. 3864 should sponsor the new Lodge. The lineage of Nisi Dominus Lodge can thus be traced back to the Grand Master’s Lodge No.1 which sponsored Burton Court in 1918.
The name for the Lodge was chosen – “NISI DOMINUS”
Psalm 127, which is entitled “A Song of Degrees for Solomon” begins with the phrase “Nisi Dominus Frustra” . . . “Except the Lord build the House, they labour in vain that build it”. It was the motto inscribed on the Coat of Arms of the one time Borough of Chelsea. There is also a close tie with the Royal Masonic Hospital where there is a pedestal in the main entrance that bears the inscription:-
“Except the Lord builD the House
They labour in vain that build it”
Thus it will be seen that the new Lodge was well named historically and with an inspiring sentiment.